There used to be a bargain/surplus book company that made the rounds at my school. For the life of me, I cannot remember the name of it or why they stopped coming. (Although, in retrospect it might be that they had to set up their display in my office which was a pain in the arse.)
Grilled Portobello and Red Quinoa Vegetable Salad
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
- 5 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c. red quinoa, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 c. grated carrots
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps, cleaned
- extra olive oil for brushing on grill and mushrooms
- Make a vinaigrette by whisking together the vinegar and oil. Season with salt and pepper, taste, and re-season vinaigrette if necessary. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the dressing together with the cooked and warm quinoa. Let set until room temperature. Then toss in carrots, onion, and zucchini. Gently toss to coat. Taste and re-season with salt and pepper if needed. Place in refrigerator to chill while portobellos are grilled.
- Preheat the grill to medium high (or 350 degrees). Brush grill with olive oil. Clean mushroom caps and brush with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill until fork tender, about 3 minutes per side. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Cut into 1/2″ slices.
- Divide the salad on two plates. (This makes a hearty meal for two or a side dish for four.). Arrange the portobello slices across the top.
This is a hearty salad and we easily had four meals. Remember to season the dressing well. I always toss my quinoa with the dressing while it’s still warm. I think it absorbs a bit more flavor that way. Be sure to taste and re-season with salt and pepper as needed.
If you want an update on the 2017 Challenge, The Hubs didn’t win the $800 pool prize. He did lose almost 40 pounds which made this challenge so worth it. We have a new way of eating, a lot of new recipes, and simply a healthier life.
I’m also linking up with April’s Foodie Reads…
Finally, this post is also a part of a new tradition for me: Cookbook of the Month. I have so many cookbooks that I have vowed to post something from at least one of them each month. 🙂